Thursday, 19 December 2013

The ATLAS Project

When a friend of mine recently got in touch with me in regards to her new project, I was really intrigued. Another passion of mine is photography, and I love seeing and sharing peoples work. Normally I like keeping my Blog purely  fashion and beauty related, but sometimes, every now and again a project jumps out at me, that I have to share with you. It's very body positive and I thought some a lot of you may be interested in it. The Atlas project is inspired by Greek Mythology when Zeus punished Atlas to carry the weight of the sky on his shoulders. Finola photographs people's backs, and asks them "What's the Weight on your Shoulders". Her photographs are magnificent and I've included a couple of them in this post. Finola is actually based in Paris but she is home in Ireland over the Christmas period, and looking for more people to get involved.
 I've asked my friend Finola to tell us a little bit about the project, so you can understand the theory behind it:
 "The Atlas Project was inspired by the Greek Myth of Atlas, who was eternally punished by Zeus to hold the sky up on his shoulders. The Idea came to me a year ago, that some way, we are all an Atlas. We all hold up our own world, and our own weights, and each is as heavy as the next, and they are all relevant and human. So I began photographing anonymous portraits of people's backs, and asking them "What's the Weight on your Shoulders?" With this project I hope to show that despite diversity in ethnicity, body shape, background, age or sex, we all have our own worries, and they all matter."
As you can see I've included a few of my favourite pictures here. I found it hard to choose, as they're all beautiful! I love the anonymity of it all. It doesn't matter who you are, as everyone is the same and everyone has a weight on their shoulders. No one's "weight" is more important than the next.  I've been on her Tumblr page for a good hour and a half. It's just so captivating. I've given you a little taster here, but there's a ton more on her page. They're all absolutely beautiful in their own right, and I encourage you all to have a look over on her Tumblr page! I think it's such a fantastic and beautiful project, and think as many people as possible should get involved with it, as it's a truly beautiful and creative project! 
 If you're in Dublin and interested in participating please take a look at the Blog Page HERE
Or you can contact her through her Facebook Page: HERE

Sian xxx
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting! I always reply, so do check back If you've asked a question x

*Spam comments will be deleted*

© Forever Fabulous in Bows. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Made By pipdig